Saturday, May 18, 2013

Are Fruits and Veggies a Natural Time Machine?



Take me back to 39 … take me back to 39 … take me back to 39 … no, silly, not the year, the AGE.

If I say it three times and munch a couple blackberries, will I be 39 years old again?! Slim, tennis-worthy, shiny hair (without L’Oreal’s auburn color)? Hmmmm … nope. Didn’t work.

Ah, well. However, I still believe aging is as much attitude as it is an unstoppable physical progression.

This doesn’t stop us from trying every miracle drug or food combination the next anti-aging guru puts forth. Bottom line (and I do mean the bottom pun) is our overall health and slowed aging benefits from offerings of the garden.

“… while many foods from chocolate to popcorn promise these health benefits, your best bet for a long, vibrant future begins with produce,” says Oprah.com on Yahoo!’s Shine.

Do I eat tons of fruit and vegetables? Sadly, no. As a kid, I consumed the standard veggies when forced to, and many basic fruits. But for some reason, they never became a standard in my diet. 

Although I’m told I look young “for my age” (appreciate and loathe that statement), and I’m relatively healthy, it’s possible my “extra” stubborn weight hangs on likely because I do not eat the good-for-you foods at an age when it truly matters.

How about you? Have your eating habits changed as an adult? For the better or worse? Or like me, have you tried to eat better, to no avail?

Fruits and veggies won’t turn back time, but …


This is one of those subjects that can never be an exact science. Every body reacts differently to everything we ingest. Our foods have mutated and altered over the years as additives, pesticides, and vitamins modify their chemical composition. The result is ever-changing reports of what is good for us.

However, throughout the past several decades, whether you eat off-the-shelf fruits and vegetables from the local chain grocery, or can afford upscale organic foods, fruits and vegetables remain anti-aging’s natural benefactor. If they ever re-categorize chocolate as a fruit or vegetable, I’m in!

I have seriously tried to revise my diet to include more vegetables and a variety of fruits. Chocolate still wins. Oh, and beer. And bread. None of which classify as “good for you.” (Yeah, yeah, I know … there are many articles supporting their benefits, but you know the truth.)

Do you know how much money I’ve thrown in the trash by way of spoiled fresh greens and even apples that can last for more than a week? They hang around in the fridge or on the counter, staring at me – daring me to gobble them up. I just can’t get into ‘em. Once in a while I love a good, fresh, Golde

Delicious apple. And peanut butter smothering celery sticks, yum! But it isn’t consistent enough to count in my regular diet.

If at first you don’t succeed ...

I’ll probably try again, because I know I should. I’ll buy more vegetables rather than 100-calorie cookie packs. Pick up a few more apples – and with summer, cantaloupe. I have managed to incorporate organic blackberry preserves into my morning toast – does that count?

But at my age (a few shades over 39 ;-) ), does it matter? How many years will revising my diet add to my age? No one can tell us exactly, with a subtle change in diet during your senior years; but if it makes you happy and you seem to feel better … it’s changing your attitude. And we’re all about attitude!

Consider this … if you delete chocolate and beer ( ! ), and add kale and blackberries, will you be happy? If not, and you’ve made it past 60+, there is something to be said for quality of life. Usually applied to catastrophic disabilities, that phrase is also relevant to simply enjoying the years you have left.

We don’t know how many years that might be. Accidents happen every day. Illnesses sweep us off in a matter of weeks. Enjoy your life now.

I’m not advocating drinking yourself silly every night, or eating a whole package of Mystic Mints. Hmmm, showing my age – can’t get ‘em anymore. Just as well! Besides, I guarantee the next day will not make you happy. Everything in moderation. But whatever you do, enjoy it.

So turn back the time machine – turn on an Oldies station – eat a few more veggies (with your beer) and enjoy life. 

It isn’t an age … it’s an attitude!




# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment