Monday, August 6, 2012

Milestone Birthday Parties – Fun or Frustrating?

Depends on your att-i-tude …

Here at 39AHC we believe every birthday should be celebrated with equal pomp and circumstance. However, before we arrived at this mature state of mind …

PAR – TY! Ah yes, the good ol’ days. When we thought aging was for old people and birthdays were simply the BEST reason to party hearty.

I won’t deny it … I partied through the 1980s and loved every minute of it. I danced my way around many a nightclub and concert. Rock, R&B, a little smoooooth Jazz, and yes even some Disco. But somewhere towards the end of that festive decade I also turned … yipes! The big 4-0.

Single, at my best weight (I’ll never see that again), and livin’ in San Diego just begs for a blowout 40th birthday. And my girlfriends done me proud!


It was a surprise party. Of course, I knew something was up – none of them had been available that day and no one called with birthday wishes. :-( Finally, Karen phoned and offered to take me for a Happy Hour libation, stammering some lame excuse for the others’ absence.

“Corporate networkers” at the time and a Saturday night, we dressed to kill in the “little black dress” miniskirts, and headed out. Karen was a little obscure about our final destination … I didn’t care. Let’s party!

We arrived at Bully’s, Del Mar’s most elite and beloved steakhouse. Not only does it offer (still, today) mouthwatering prime rib, it’s a “place to be seen” in San Diego County. I thought, maybe, just maybe, the others, Stephanie, Cindy, and Pam, would be eagerly waiting. I scanned the tables in the low-light main room; saw a few familiar faces to wave at, but no party girls.

Karen led the way – all the way through the restaurant to the screened outdoor party room in the back. “What the … ?”

And there they were … with another twenty or so of our favorite party people, jumping up and down! Shots, balloons, and cake were plentiful; and while that surprise was super fun, it was nothing compared to the male stripper who paraded in about a half hour later. Yes, they really did that.

But wait! There's more ...
The funniest part of the stripper scene however, was the crowd reaction. Bully’s can be noisy, but a refined, cultured sort of noise. Remember when I said the party room was “screened”? That meant everything we did was visible to the patrons dining in the main restaurant area.

And let me tell you, ALL of the women (and probably a few guys) were surreptitiously peeking at his performance. I had more fun watching their faces. (Well, when I wasn’t fully engrossed …) I don’t think Bully’s was ever the same.

My point here though, isn’t to revel in old memories. I thoroughly enjoyed that birthday after dreading it for days, weeks, months before; but my fiftieth and then sixtieth birthdays were the gloomiest. They occurred without fanfare at an age when I kind of wish more had been made of them.

Back to att-i-tude ...
If you find yourself in that state of mind about any birthday, give it some sincere reflection, but don’t wallow in your self-pity or morose thoughts. LIVE!!!! Even if it must be alone. Whether by choice or necessity I’ve spent some of my best birthdays pampering myself and reveling in solitude – complete with cake and/or champagne.

I wish I had understood myself as well at fifty as I do now. I let that milestone slip by without giving it its due. And now I realize that EVERY birthday should be a celebrated milestone. That we even make it one more day is cause for celebration – so another year should evoke downright euphoria.

Let’s do it. For the next birthday of those close to you regardless of age – even your own – make a big deal of it. Or really, how long has it been since you showed them how much they mean to you? Make them feel special TODAY.

Then on those “milestone” birthdays, go the extra mile … get the stripper. Heehee.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment